Tuesday, June 29, 2010
Saturday, June 26, 2010
Today, I decided to play dress up. I had an 80's dress and sunglasses, 50s hair and jewelry, and to modernize it I added patent oxfords and polka dot tights. It's a fun, yet sophisticated look. Im so psyched for IMATS tomorrow!
dress, tights, h&m; shoes, steve madden
These are the photos from my last trip to La Jolla 2 weeks ago. My sister left her camera here, so I had to wait to do this post. So, as you can see I love it here. The weather is awesome especially compared to how hot it is in norcal. Anyways, layering is the key to being fashionable during the warmer months. Bohemian pieces, color, and contrasting prints are what Ill be wearing all summer long. I love clogs, and these are an unexpected play off the traditional clog. Theyre strappy and comfortable; great for the summer.
top, pac sun; skirt, layering piece, nordstrom; heels, gianni bini; necklace, f21
Tuesday, June 22, 2010
This Thursday Ill be flying to San Diego, then on Friday Ill be driving up to LA. My sister left her camera back in SD so once we get there Ill put up a picture post from the last time I was there (a week and a half ago). Saturday and Sunday Ill be at IMATS, so say hi if youre there! I will probably get a post up this weekend. Ill be vlogging at IMATS and will get that up on my YouTube as soon as I get home on Monday. Sorry for the delay, Ive just been extremely busy with a ton of classes, etc.
The Urban Fashion Gal
Tuesday, June 15, 2010
(photo cred: my lovely older sister Jasmine)
As Ive said before, transitioning between seasons is the toughest time to dress. Layering is key for looking fashion forward during spring. Here, I took the famous sequins blazer but in a shorter, lighter form kind of like a cover-up. Its a great trend but it's toned down to bring into spring. I love mixing neutrals. The slightly blue suede heels with the taupe shorts is a combination thats super trendy this fall. With all of those neutrals, I needed a pop of color so I wore this bright teal t-shirt. Any bright colored t-shirt would work. Mixing different colored chains is also very trendy. So are huge Lady Gaga-esq rings. These Sam Edelman's are really comfy even though they have a 4 inch heel because theyre a wedge. Wedges are a great option if youre looking for a comfortable heel. Theyre also chunky and edgy so they can be worn with shorts and still be in good taste.
cover-up, shorts, h&m; t-shirt, marc by marc jacobs; wedges, sam edelman; ring, necklace, forever 21
Wednesday, June 9, 2010
My sister just showed me this DIY blog. I checked it out and its amazing what this can do! From purses, to skirts, to heels, she gives directions on how to turn things from drab to totally fab! My favorite DIY are those YSL cage shoes, so hot. Check it out and tell me what you think!
(80spurple.com)I recently came across this store, and I fell in love! Its like Urban Outfitters meets H&M; two of my favorite stores. Theres a bunch of edgy as well as floral, soft girly pieces. I absolutely love that gold costume dress. Model, Hanna Beth, wore it to last Sunday's MTV Movie Awards.
Sunday, June 6, 2010
The key to shopping is buying extremely versatile pieces that can be layered. Start out with a little black dress. I took this lacey bustier dress.
1. Put a tank top underneath. Cleavage shouldnt be shown during the day. Wife beaters look terrible under strappy dresses, so it should be a spaghetti strap tank with some detailing to add visual interest.
2. Throw on a button down. This completely dresses down the look and adds coverage. Roll up the sleeves and dont iron it, it should be crinkly and care free, preferably a different color as well.
3. Peep-toe wedges. Theyre sophisticated, yet can be worn during the day. Theyre comfortable but elegant. The laces add to the casual feel.
4. Day-time accessories. I absolutely adore this bronze fish necklace. Also, the bracelet is bright and fun! The ring is my moms. Its super elegant but I wore it on my pointer finger instead of ring finger to make it look like a casual cocktail ring.
If I had wanted to dress this outfit up, Id wear:
1. A short pearl necklace that doesnt dangle. It would be more elegant and night time appropriate. Id switch the ring to my ring finger.
2. A light cardigan, in a blue shade to match the ring.
3. Sparkley silver high heels. Silver, because thatd match the ring.
-For night time, I like to be matching because its more sophisticated than wearing bright fun colors. Lastly, I wouldnt have such a care free messy hair style.
dress, american rag; tank, express; shirt, uo; necklace, f21; bracelet, h&m; ring, mom's; shoes, dolce vita