Sunday, June 6, 2010

How to Casualize a Formal Dress





The key to shopping is buying extremely versatile pieces that can be layered. Start out with a little black dress. I took this lacey bustier dress.

1. Put a tank top underneath. Cleavage shouldnt be shown during the day. Wife beaters look terrible under strappy dresses, so it should be a spaghetti strap tank with some detailing to add visual interest.
2. Throw on a button down. This completely dresses down the look and adds coverage. Roll up the sleeves and dont iron it, it should be crinkly and care free, preferably a different color as well.
3. Peep-toe wedges. Theyre sophisticated, yet can be worn during the day. Theyre comfortable but elegant. The laces add to the casual feel.
4. Day-time accessories. I absolutely adore this bronze fish necklace. Also, the bracelet is bright and fun! The ring is my moms. Its super elegant but I wore it on my pointer finger instead of ring finger to make it look like a casual cocktail ring.

If I had wanted to dress this outfit up, Id wear:

1. A short pearl necklace that doesnt dangle. It would be more elegant and night time appropriate. Id switch the ring to my ring finger. 
2. A light cardigan, in a blue shade to match the ring.
3. Sparkley silver high heels. Silver, because thatd match the ring. 
-For night time, I like to be matching because its more sophisticated than wearing bright fun colors. Lastly, I wouldnt have such a care free messy hair style. 

dress, american rag; tank, express; shirt, uo; necklace, f21; bracelet, h&m; ring, mom's; shoes, dolce vita


8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, you actually copied my "Holey Shirts" Idea....

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The shape of the dress is so adorable. It's super flouncy and fun!

    And I love the jacket you paired with it. Great POP of colour!

    :)

    Thanks so much for stopping by!
    QUIRKYEXPLOSION.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful 'how to', i love the wedges you've paired it with and the mix of colors and metallics.

    Chic on the Cheap

    ReplyDelete
  6. ABSOLUTE GENIUS!!!!! can you style me please?

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey girl!!!!!!!!

    u look absolutely amazin!!!!!!!!!!!

    nice combo tee-dress!

    lovely shoes!!!!

    thanx for visitin:))

    kiss

    www.thebeautifulandthehard.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this, so cute! Must try!

    ReplyDelete